Here is the procedure for legally flying at Windy Hill:
- You must be a USHPA member, and possess a P4 / H4 (or foreign equivalent) rating to fly at Windy Hill, and Restricted Landing Field (RLF) special skill for HGs.
- Read and acknowledge the Site Procedures and Regulations.
- Sign up for an account on the Registration page. You’ll be asked to submit payment via PayPal or credit card and sign a liability waiver as part of the checkout process.
- Once your payment and waiver have been received, a Windy Hill Skyriders administrator will apply for a special use permit from the MROSD on your behalf, and will send it to you as soon as it has been issued by the park.
- Print out a copy of your permit, and keep it with you when flying. The park rangers are happy to have us flying there, but often ask to see pilots’ permits.
- Arrange for a site introduction from a Windy Hill Skyriders administrator or other pilot who has significant experience flying at Windy Hill. This is mandatory, as there are a number of hazards and airspace regulations that you need to know about, before flying.
- Enjoy your flights at Windy Hill!
- The MROSD sometimes has a few days turn-around time for issuing permits. Sign up and request a permit before you fly. Be patient, and do not expect to fly on the same day that you request your permit.
- The $20 Windy Hill Skyriders annual membership fee covers USHPA chapter dues and club administration costs. Membership in the Windy Hill Skyriders is from Jan 1 – Dec 31.